Year: 2016 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Errol Road Public School
989 Errol Road East
Sarnia, Ontario N7S 2E6
Subjects and grades taught: Full-day Kindergarten
A loving and creative teacher, Kerry Miller helps children find their individual place in the classroom as they leave home for the big world of school for the first time.
Mrs. Miller fills her classroom with opportunities for creativity, exploration and open-ended investigation to encourage children to think critically and act logically. She stresses the importance of students being able to work independently and as a team, providing opportunities each day for both.
- Designs hands-on and problem-solving activities, particularly involving nature, to engage students: students learn how to measure things (for baking or a science experiment), gather data through surveys, and study snow under the microscope.
- Models clear and concise communications with children so they know and understand her expectations, provides plenty of positive feedback, and responds to behavioural problems in a constructive manner.
- Engages students and parents in learning through technology: developing regular SMARTBoard activities, giving children iPad access to document learning, and sending videos (taken by both the teacher and the students) home to parents to show what is happening the classroom.
- Coaches, with the help of a dance teacher, her young students in a dance routine that they put on at the annual Christmas assembly; the kindergarteners steal the show every time.
- Chairs the school's full-day Kindergarten division, delegating responsibilities and leading discussions among team members, and planning field trips and special events for the classes.
- Champions the Positive Behaviour Support method, having pilot tested it in the school and now acting as a resource for teachers seeking to create a respectful environment in their classes.
"Mrs. Miller has a knack for making the students in her room feel safe while encouraging them to try new things and come out of their comfort zone."
"Not only is Kerry a mentor to me, but she is the teacher that many staff come to for advice and guidance."
- Date modified: