Year: 2015 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
General Amherst High School
130 Sandwich Street South
Amherstburg, Ontario N9V 1Z8
Principal: Hazel Keefner
School telephone: 519-736-2149
School website: publicboard.ca/school/gahs/Pages/default.aspx
Subjects and grades taught: Learning Support, Special Education, grades 9 to 12
Amy Soucie combines a collaborative approach with extensive knowledge and experience to act as a strong advocate for students with exceptionalities. She also works to get them the supports they need to succeed in school.
With an open door policy, Mrs. Soucie welcomes any student into her class at anytime to receive extra assistance. She also advocates for an inclusive environment for special education students throughout the school, believing that no opportunity should be out of reach for them.
- Secures the furniture, equipment and technology necessary to provide a stimulating and safe environment for her students, even ensuring they are centrally located within the school to benefit from the activities and presence of the wider student body.
- Received grant to study why student use of assistive devices was decreasing in special education; project involves collaboration among five schools to see whether students will feel less stigmatized and be more inclined to use technology when it is similar to the electronics other students have.
- Chosen to be part of a school board-university team looking at transition strategies for special education students moving on to post-secondary education, apprenticeships or the workforce.
- Organized and led a trip to Florida so her students could participate in the 5K, 10K and half-marathon during the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend and visit the theme parks.
- Authored on her own, or as part of a team, a number of education support documents, including evaluation guidelines for Grade 9 Geography, a support guide for parents on Ontario's standardized achievement tests, and learning activities for the province's Specialist High Skills Major program.
"[Mrs. Soucie] gives her best every day and I know that she is someone in my school that I can trust and will be there for every student who needs her."
"[Amy] is always striving for success, both personally and professionally, and works diligently for the benefit of her students."
- Date modified: