Year: 2016 – Province: Northwest Territories
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
École Allain St-Cyr
48 Taylor Road
Yellowknife (Northwest Territories) X1A 3X2
Grades and subjects taught: English Grade 4 and Grades 7 to 12
Being the only full-time English teacher at her school does not doom Heather Bilodeau to loneliness – quite the opposite! A woman of action and commitment, she works both to help students acquire knowledge and develop their leadership skills, who inspire her.
Heather Bilodeau uses an adaptive and innovative approach to ensure that the skills of her students in often very heterogeneous classes are optimally developed. For her, education takes place in a spirit of cooperation among teachers, students and parents, thus creating the best possible learning conditions.
- Manages multi-level classes while providing personalized teaching to all her students.
- Uses technology—game software, educational software and audio/video projects—to adjust her teaching to her students' specific needs.
- Works cooperatively with the support program officer on matters affecting the school life of handicapped children and children with adaptation or learning difficulties.
- Organizes Remembrance Day celebrations, setting up activities allowing students to develop their oratory talents (as masters of ceremony) and actively take part in their organization, from planning to final clean-up.
- Each year produces a video with Grade 11 students honouring Grade 12 graduates.
- Actively contributes to her students' success in their postsecondary studies by ensuring that they attain an optimal level of English.
"Ms. Bilodeau is surely one of the pillars of the NWT Francophone school system."
"She is still today one of the teachers who had the most significant impact on my education."
- Date modified: