Meagan Chopek: Bringing the world into class and books around the corner
Year: 2018 – Province: Manitoba
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
École Sage Creek School
315 Sage Creek Boulevard
Winnipeg, MB R3X 0G4
School telephone: 204-253-8199
School website: https://www.lrsd.net/schools/sagecreek/Pages/default.aspx
Subjects and grades taught: Kindergarten and K–8 Librarian
Students entering Meg Chopek's learning commons browse a magnificent collection of books and resources that she herself passionately built from the ground up for her new school. In her morning Kindergarten classes, children work together to build a true community in English, French and Ojibwe.
In the library and in the classroom, Meg seeks to instil curiosity, inquiry, discovery and creativity by providing all students and staff with a foundation for "learning how to learn." She then supports students' success by making them fall in love with school.
In the Classroom
- Brings the world into the Kindergarten classroom: through Skype, children connect with reading partners across the continent, and go on virtual field trips to learn from national park conservationists and interview museum-based historians about the fur trade
- Revitalizing school library culture with a fresh, inquiry-based approach to learning and literacy: for example, in the new media lab, students brainstorm ideas for apps, create videos and test their own products
- Designs value-added cross-curricular learning opportunities to support student success: for example, a literature and makerspace fusion promoted collaboration and problem solving as children designed robots to complement a shared reading of Peter Brown's Wild Robot
- Ensures students have access to books on weekends and in the summer: with the nearest public library two bus trips away, Meg worked with students to build and install several Little Free Library in neighbourhoods that serve the school
- Named a Microsoft Innovative Education Expert, which led to the school being designated a Microsoft Showcase School; Meg is also a Microsoft Certified Educator and Skype Master Teacher
- Was handpicked to lead a team of technology mentors for the school division; team members support colleagues as they integrate technology into teaching and learning
- Presented inspiring keynote address on engagement versus enlightenment at the IT Happens Conference In Winnipeg; was invited to join Team Canada at the Microsoft E2 Education Exchange, not once, but twice
"Education is shifting. It is dynamic. It is modern and ancient. It is caring and kind. It is personal and passionate and it puts the students at the heart of itself. Fortunately for her students, these are all words that are invariably used to describe an educator of legitimate distinction: Mme Meg."
- Date modified: