The Canadian National Organization for the International Telecommunication Union – Telecommunication Standardization Sector (CNO/ITU-T) was established in 1973. The objective of the CNO/ITU-T is to promote and coordinate Canadian participation in the activities of the ITU-T. It comprises members from the public and private sectors of the Canadian telecommunications community. The CNO/ITU-T fulfills the purposes of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) relating to telecommunications standardization. The National Study Groups are responsible for studying technical, operating and tariff questions and adopting recommendations on them with a view to standardizing telecommunications on a worldwide basis.
The ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T) is one of the three sectors of the International Telecommunication Union.
- Chair — Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- CNO/ITU-T Secretariat — Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Steering Committee Members:
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Sector Members
- Bell Canada
- Ciena Canada
- Ericsson Canada Inc.
- InterDigital Canada Ltée
- TELUS Communications Inc.
- Vidéotron s.e.n.c.
- AEPONYX Inc. (SG 15)
- Corinex Communications Corporation (SG 15)
- EXFO Inc. (SG 15)
- ISARA Corporation (SG 17)
- Renesas Electronics Canada Limited (SG 15)
- Tutela Technologies Ltd (SG 12)
- Concordia University
- Mila – Quebec Institute of Artificial Intelligence
National Study Groups:
- NSG 2 - Operational aspects of service provision and telecommunications management
- NSG 3 - Tariff and accounting principles and international telecommunication/ICT economic and policy issues
- NSG 5 - Environment, climate change and circular economy
- NSG 9 - Television and sound transmission and integrated broadband cable networks
- NSG 11 - Signalling requirements, protocols, test specifications and combating counterfeit products
- NSG 12 - Performance, quality of service and quality of experience
- NSG 13 - Future networks, with focus on IMT-2020, cloud computing and trusted network infrastructures
- NSG 15 - Networks, technologies and infrastructures for transport, access and home
- NSG 16 - Multimedia coding, systems and applications
- NSG 17 - Security
- NSG 20 - Internet of things (IoT) and smart cities and communities
The Canadian National Organization Manual for the International Telecommunication Union — Telecommunication Standardization Sector defines the organizational elements of the CNO/ITU-T, the structure of the organizational elements, the responsibilities of the organizational elements, and participation in the organizational elements, in particular the Steering Committee, the National Study Groups and the Secretariat.
- ANSI - American National Standards Institute
- CITEL - Inter-American Telecommunication Commission
- ETSI - European Telecommunications Standards Institute
- ISO/IEC JTC 1 – International Organization for Standardization / International Electrotechnical Commission Joint Technical Committee 1 - Information Technology
- ITAC - Information Technology Association of Canada
- SCC - Standards Council of Canada
Contact the CNO
The CNO/ITU-T Secretariat can be reached by email.