Decision regarding the subordinate licences
1. On July 04, 2017, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) received an application for the issuance of three subordinate licences in the Personal Communications Services (PCS) band for several communities in Newfoundland and Labrador, Northern Quebec and Nunavut from Fido Solutions Inc., a subsidiary of Rogers Communications Canada Inc. (Rogers), to Naskapi Imuun Inc. ("NII"). The licences are described in annex A.
2. The application was reviewed under the relevant provisions of Client Procedures Circular CPC-2-1-23, Licensing Procedure for Spectrum Licences for Terrestrial Services.
3. Terms not defined in this decision have the meaning set out in CPC-2-1-23.
4. The subordinate licence application from Fido to NII described above is approved.
5. The application was assessed against the policy objectives and criteria set out in section 5.6 of CPC-2-1-23.
6. ISED has reviewed the agreement between Fido and NII and notes that for the subordinate licences requested, the primary licensee retains control of its spectrum licences.
7. Approval of these subordinate licences does not change the overall distribution of spectrum holdings in the relevant licence areas, and allows NII, a wireless service provider in remote areas of Northern Canada, access to additional commercial mobile spectrum. ISED has determined that the subordinate licences would not impact the ability of existing or future competitors to provide services in the relevant areas.
|Licence number||Expiry date||Frequency range (MHz)||Geographic area|
|010287237-001||March 31, 2031||1850-1855
Newfoundland and Labrador
|010284395-001||March 31, 2031||1850-1855
|010285511-001||March 31, 2031||1850-1855
Yukon, North West Territories and Nunavut