Decision regarding the subordinate licences
1. On October 20, 2017, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) received an application for the issuance of subordinate licences in the 700 MHz band from TELUS Communications Inc. (TELUS) to Sogetel Mobilité Inc. (Sogetel) in local telephone service areas (TEL) of eastern and southern Quebec. Additional information was provided on February 21, 2018. The primary licences are described in annex A.
2. Additionally, amendments to three of Bell’s subordinate licences from TELUS were requested to remove areas that overlap the TEL areas covered in this application.
3. The application was reviewed under the relevant provisions of Client Procedures Circular CPC-2-1-23, Licensing Procedure for Spectrum Licences for Terrestrial Services.
4. Terms not defined in this decision have the meaning set out in CPC-2-1-23.
5. The subordinate licence application from TELUS to Sogetel described above, including amendments to Bell’s subordinate licences, is approved.
6. The application was assessed against the policy objectives and criteria set out in section 5.6 of CPC-2-1-23.
7. ISED has reviewed the agreement between TELUS and Sogetel and notes that, for the subordinate licences requested, the primary licensee retains control of its spectrum licences.
8. Approval of the subordinate licences does not change the overall distribution of spectrum holdings in the relevant licence areas, and allows Sogetel access to additional commercial mobile spectrum increasing network capacity. ISED has determined that the subordinate licences would not impact the ability of existing or future competitors to provide services in the relevant areas.
|Licence number||Expiry date||Frequency range (MHz)||Geographic area|
|10283793-001*||April 2, 2034||710- 716 MHz||2-004
|10283795-001**||April 2, 2034||710- 716 MHz||2-005
|* Subdivided on a TEL basis (TEL-014)
** Subdivided on a TEL basis (TEL-005, TEL-010, TEL-014, TEL-016)
|Licence number||Expiry date||Tier||Service area name||Frequency (MHz)||Additional details|
|010288933-001||April 2, 2034||3-09||Quebec||710-716||Excludes TEL-014|
|010288443-001||April 2, 2034||3-11||Eastern Townships||710 - 716||Excludes TEL-010 and TEL-014|
|010288325-001||April 2, 2034||3-12||Trois-Rivières||710 - 716||Excludes TEL-005, TEL-010, TEL-014 and TEL-016|