Decision regarding the subordinate licences
1. On June 12, 2017, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) received a joint application to subordinate licences in the Advanced Wireless Spectrum (AWS-1) band between TELUS Communications Inc. (TELUS) and Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel) within Saskatchewan.
2. The subordinate licences, which are across the province of Saskatchewan, are described in annex A.
3. Terms not defined in this decision have the meaning set out in Client Procedures Circular CPC 2–1–23, Licensing Procedure for Spectrum Licences for Terrestrial Services.
4. The subordinate licence application from TELUS and SaskTel described above is approved with an additional condition to ensure the licensees continue to actively and independently provide services.
5. The application was assessed against the policy objectives and criteria set out in section 5.6 of CPC 2–1–23.
6. ISED has reviewed the agreement between TELUS and SaskTel and notes that, for the subordinate licences requested, the primary licensee retains control of its spectrum licences.
7. Approval of these subordinate licences does not change the overall distribution of spectrum holdings in the relevant licence areas, and allows SaskTel, a wireless service provider in Saskatchewan, access to additional commercial mobile spectrum. The Department has determined that the subordinate licences would not impact the ability of existing or future competitors to provide services in the relevant areas.
|Licence||Expiry date||Geographic area||Frequency range (MHz)|
|10282251–001||30/12/2018||3–041||Regina||1745 – 1755
2145 – 2155
|10283397–001||30/12/2018||3–042||Moose Jaw||1745 – 1755
2145 – 2155
|10283389–001||30/12/2018||3–043||Saskatoon||1710 – 1720
2110 – 2120