1. On November 13, 2018, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) received an application for the transfer of portions of Advanced Wireless Services (AWS-1) and Advanced Wireless Services (AWS-3) Tier 2-009 (Northern Ontario) licenses held by Bragg Communications Inc. (operating under “Eastlink,” hereafter referred to as Eastlink) to TELUS Communications Inc. (TELUS). Specifically, the areas of the licences proposed to be transferred are in North Bay and Sault Ste. Marie (south of the Montreal River). The licences are described in annex A.
2. The application was reviewed under the relevant provisions of Client Procedures Circular CPC-2-1-23, Licensing Procedure for Spectrum Licences for Terrestrial Services.
3. Terms not defined in this decision have the meaning set out in CPC-2-1-23.
4. The transfer of licences from Eastlink to TELUS described above is approved.
5. The application was assessed against the policy objectives and criteria set out in section 5.6 of CPC-2-1-23.
6. ISED has determined that the requested licence transfers will not impact the ability of existing and future competitors to provide services given that the transfers will not result in a significant change in spectrum concentration in the affected geographic areas.
7. Furthermore, the transfer involves spectrum that is currently not being used to provide services and will offer TELUS an opportunity to put such spectrum to use for the benefit of all Canadians.
|Licence number||Expiry date||Frequency range (MHz)||Geographic areas||Spectrum band|
|010282407-001||Dec 14, 2038||1720-1730||2120-2130||
Portions of 2-009:
• North Bay (3-034)
• Portion of Sault Ste. Marie (3-035), south of the Montreal River
|010282923-001||April 20, 2035||1755-1770||2155-2170||AWS-3|